On 2015-07-16, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Gentoo minimal CD does not work if you simply dd it to a thumb drive
> (I rediscovered this anew on Monday). It works just fine if you use
> unetbootin to do the magic though.

Has that changed recently?  I tought the minimal ISO was already
"hybrid" and would boot directly from a USB drive.  I would have sworn
I did nothing other than "dd" it to a USB drive the last time I did an
install.

This wiki page seems to agree:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Creating_and_Booting_the_Minimal-Install_Image_on_USB#Copying_the_ISO_Image_to_USB

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I want my nose in
                                  at               lights!