On Wednesday 16 Sep 2015 23:43:51 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I just noticed that the driver for my old printer no longer shows up in
> > cups, on one of my PCs.  Comparison with other PCs shows that this one
> > does *not* have the hpijs USE set.
> >
> > Could someone who also does not have hpijs set in their hplip tell me if
> > the HP DeskJet 930C selection is missing, when they load up the GUI via
> > https://127.0.0.1:631 and then try to modify a printer?
> >
> > Until this week there wasn't a problem with this PC so I am not sure what
> > changed ...
> >
> > I've set it up with DeskJet 932c for now without USE=hpijs and it seems
> > to work, so I am in two minds if I need hpijs or if I need to use the
> > 930c driver anyway.
>
> I was going to try and test this.  I try to help when ever I can.  Thing
> is, the way CUPS works here, you have to have the printer connected to
> set it up.  I can't find a option to set up a printer that is not
> connected during the set up process.  Maybe I am missing something.  o_O
>
> Maybe someone else who has that printer can test it.  We hope.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Thank you Dale,

You don't have to complete the setup of the printer.  Just select Modify
printer and 'try' to change its driver from the dropdown selection.  You don't
need to actually change it - just look in there if DeskJet 930c is listed.
Assuming of course that your hplip was compiled with USE="-hpijs".

My 930C is a USB printer, but I have a little ethernet to USB printer server
that I access it through.  This is a monodirectional lpd server, so all the
hplip GUI to report printer status is not working.  It doesn't bother me as
printing is a rare occasion and all users know what to do if it runs out of
ink.

Printing was all working fine on this PC until a couple of days ago, so I
wonder if I removed something in /etc/portage/* to cause this ...
--
Regards,
Mick