On 17/10/2015 18:42, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> [15-10-17 18:24]:
>> On 17/10/2015 16:59, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>>> Heiko Baums <li...@baums-on-web.de> [15-10-17 15:44]:

>>> Hi Heiko,
>>> (_sounds_ somehow redundant, hahahaha! ;)
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help! :)
>>> The equery command found three more of those:
>>> app-admin/conky-1.9.0-r3 (nvidia ? media-video/nvidia-settings)
>>> sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r1 (video_cards_nvidia ? media-video/nvidia-settings)
>>> sys-apps/hwloc-1.10.0-r2 (gl ? media-video/nvidia-settings)
>>>
>>> I fixed that via accorinding use-flag setting as you suggested but
>>> unfortunately vtk is ignoring my manipulations:
>>>
>>> [I] sci-libs/vtk
>>>      Available versions:  ~6.0.0^t (~)6.1.0^t 6.1.0-r1^t {R +X all-modules
>>> aqua boost cg doc examples ffmpeg gdal imaging java json kaapi mpi mysql
>>> odbc offscreen postgres python qt4 rendering smp tbb tcl test theora tk
>>> views web xdmf2 ELIBC="FreeBSD" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
>>> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"}
>>>      Installed versions:  6.1.0-r1^t(05:31:39 06/13/15)(X rendering tcl tk
>>> -R -all-modules -aqua -boost -cg -doc -examples -ffmpeg -gdal -imaging
>>> -java -json -kaapi -mpi -mysql -odbc -offscreen -postgres -python -qt4 -smp
>>> -tbb -test -theora -views -web -xdmf2 ELIBC="-FreeBSD"
>>> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia")
>>>      Homepage:            http://www.vtk.org/
>>>

>>> There is no 'nvidia-settings" use-flag with vtk.
>>>
>>> But nevertheless - it pulls it in:
>>> [nomerge       ] sci-libs/vtk-6.1.0-r1::gentoo  USE="X rendering tcl tk -R
>>> -all-modules (-aqua) -boost -cg -doc (-examples) -ffmpeg -gdal -imaging
>>> -java -json -kaapi -mpi -mysql -odbc -offscreen -postgres -python -qt4 -smp
>>> -tbb {-test} -theora -views -web -xdmf2" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
>>> VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
>>> [ebuild  N    ~]  media-video/nvidia-settings-355.11::gentoo
>>> USE="-examples -gtk3" 0 KiB
>>>

>>> Am I lost? ;)
>>
>> With the tree currently as-is, yes. vtk blindly pulls in nvidia-settings:
>>
>> RDEPEND="
>>      video_cards_nvidia? ( media-video/nvidia-settings )
>>

>> Which is a bit of a blunt weapon - saying nvidia in make.conf gives you
>> nvidia-settings regardless of anything else.
>>
>> I would suggest removing nvidia-drivers from world, putting
>> nvidia-settings in instead. This will enforce that you only get drivers
>> packages that are compatible with settings. Any ebuild that tries to
>> update drivers to latest without a matching settings will run into a
>> blocker.
>>
>> Ideal of course would be nvidia-settings is always in step with
>> nvidia-drivers then this problem just never arises. Why those two are
>> eternally out of step is beyond me.
>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Meino
>>>

>> --
>> Alan McKinnon
>> alan.mckin...@gmail.com
>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> thanks for digging into the depth of Gentoo! :)
>
> Why not to remove nvidia-settings as a separate package completely and
> make the choose whether to install it dependant from the
> "tools" flag of the drivers?
>
> I dont think, that there is someone out there, who wants
> nvidia-settings /without/ the drivers?!?
>
> Only my 2 EURcents... ;)

That makes sense. I don't know why the two ebuilds are set up that way,
and I haven't used nvidia myself for ages so have nothing in the past to
compare to. You'd have to ask the dev why the ebuilds are done that way

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com