Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> writes:

> Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:02:57 +0100
> schrieb lee <l...@yagibdah.de>:
>
>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Why not stick with ftp?
>>
>> The intended users are incompetent, hence it is too difficult to
>> use ...
>
> If you incompetent users are using Windows: Have you ever tried
> entering ftp://u...@yoursite.tld in the explorer directory input bar?

I tried at work and it said something like that the service cannot be
accessed.

> [...]
> Debian is not the king to rule the internet. You shouldn't care when
> they shut down their FTP services. It doesn't matter to the rest of the
> world using the internet.

Who can say what their influence actually is?  Imagine Debian going
away, and all the distributions depending on them as well because they
loose their packet sources, then what remains?  It is already rather
difficult to find a usable distribution, and what might the effect on
upstream sources be.

>> > There's always dropbox
>>
>> Well, dropbox sucks.  I got a dropbox link and it didn't work at all,
>> and handing out the data to some 3rd party is a very bad idea.  It's
>> also difficult to automate things with that.
>
> There's also owncloud (or whatever it is called now). You can automate
> things by deploying a sync application on your clients side.

The problem is that they would need to do that themselves.  It would be
much easier to show them how to use Filezilla ...

--
"Didn't work" is an error.