"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> writes:

>> transferring large amounts of data and automatization in processing at
>> least some of it, without involving a 3rd party
>>
>> "Large amounts" can be "small" like 100MB --- or over 50k files in 12GB,
>> or even more.  The mirror feature of lftp is extremely useful for such
>> things.
>>
>> I wouldn't ever want having to mess around with web pages to figure out
>> how to do this.  Ftp is plain and simple.  So you see why I'm explicitly
>> asking for a replacement which is at least as good as ftp.
>
>   How about "wget"?  It can handle ftp and http, and it can be scripted.

Explain to someone unable to use Filezilla how to do that ...

I'd have to look up if wget can do ftp with TLS.

> And it can discriminate on timestamps, i.e. only download a file if it
> has been changed since the latest download at your site.
>
>   Then there's always "sneakernet".  To quote Andrew Tanenbaum from 1981
>
>> Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
>> hurtling down the highway.

Hm, I'll suggest that, thanks.  Ppl might be more likely to think they
should be able to burn DVDs and send them in the mail than they are to
think they could use something much simpler, easier, faster and more
secure, like ftp ...

--
"Didn't work" is an error.