>> Why bash script (the install script), that works in "Debian", does
>> not
>> work on "Gentoo" install CD, giving me syntax errors (basically
>> related to '(', ')' and ''')? In the script is the interpreter line
>>
>> #!/bin/bash

> You say that line appears in both scripts, but is it the first line?
> Unaccompanied and not preceded by anything?

Yes, it is just a copy from "Debian".

>> PS Why no semi/full -automatic install script/package in "Gentoo"?

> It doesn't work that way. Gentoo is all about choice, and that
> includes
> choice of what is installed, and where and when. You have to make
> those
> choices. Even choosing what sort of system is installed (multi-lib,
> hardened, synchronised via git or rsync, ...). All in the name of
> flexibility and doing one's own thing.

All those choices could be handled while auto install process -- just
as other distro-s do, only with that exception, that the chosen
packages are compiled first and only then get installed. At least, the
"base" profile (just working kernel, package manager, network) would
fit to get automatically installed "Gentoo" system leaving all the
spectrum of choices behind installation process. -- I do not think it
is wise to spend hours just to configure system before compilation
process itself, reading all the time manual, even let be the
truncated page of that manual. Computers are all about automation, and
trivial process regarding its working should be automated. The best
approach would be checklists of checklists -- similar to kernel's
configuration, that once chosen, gets compiling, installing -- all
automatically. There even sets like all is included -- to bother not
for the unconcerned.

But something tells me the reason of absence of the installer are
much deeper.

Sthu.