On Saturday 29 Jul 2017 00:24:09 Ста Деюс wrote:
> >> Why bash script (the install script), that works in "Debian", does
> >> not
> >> work on "Gentoo" install CD, giving me syntax errors (basically
> >> related to '(', ')' and ''')? In the script is the interpreter line
> >>
> >> #!/bin/bash
> >
> > You say that line appears in both scripts, but is it the first line?
> > Unaccompanied and not preceded by anything?
>
> Yes, it is just a copy from "Debian".
>
> >> PS Why no semi/full -automatic install script/package in "Gentoo"?
> >
> > It doesn't work that way. Gentoo is all about choice, and that
> > includes
> > choice of what is installed, and where and when. You have to make
> > those
> > choices. Even choosing what sort of system is installed (multi-lib,
> > hardened, synchronised via git or rsync, ...). All in the name of
> > flexibility and doing one's own thing.
>
> All those choices could be handled while auto install process -- just
> as other distro-s do, only with that exception, that the chosen
> packages are compiled first and only then get installed. At least, the
> "base" profile (just working kernel, package manager, network) would
> fit to get automatically installed "Gentoo" system leaving all the
> spectrum of choices behind installation process. -- I do not think it
> is wise to spend hours just to configure system before compilation
> process itself, reading all the time manual, even let be the
> truncated page of that manual. Computers are all about automation, and
> trivial process regarding its working should be automated. The best
> approach would be checklists of checklists -- similar to kernel's
> configuration, that once chosen, gets compiling, installing -- all
> automatically. There even sets like all is included -- to bother not
> for the unconcerned.
>
> But something tells me the reason of absence of the installer are
> much deeper.
>
> Sthu.

Following the manual, taking your time, reading/researching/deciding what you
want to install, when and how, has the side-effect of imparting some specific
Gentoo education.  I guess you could have a script do most of this for you
with a lot of default options, but this would leave you pretty much with the
level of knowledge you had when you started.  For some people this would be an
inadequate level to keep a Gentoo system going for any length of time.

In any case, if you look at the Gentoo forums there have been a number of
scripts over the years doing what you're after.  Perhaps one of those with a
bit of modification would suit your needs.
--
Regards,
Mick