Nils Freydank <nils.freyd...@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Am Freitag, 1. September 2017, 21:08:51 CEST schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> > On Friday, September 1, 2017 7:28:48 PM CEST Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> > > Ühel kenal päeval, R, 01.09.2017 kell 10:16, kirjutas Grant:
> > [...]
> >
> > In KDE/Plasma there is a scaling setting in the display section.
> > The scales go from 1 to 3 (in steps of 0.1)
> >
> > Seems to work, I don't need it on my displays as I tend to simply
> > increase the font-sizes where necessary.
> this led to really ugly proportions on my 317,5 mm FullHD display
> (1920x1080 pi).
>
> I added "-dpi 144" to my Xorg string; in my case that’s a line in
> sddm config. That one does not reflect my actual DPI (simplified
> sqrt(1920^2+1080^2)/12.5 = 176), but was after trial and error the
> best result I got.

You can also set this parameter in XFCE preferences:

xfce4-appearance-settings -> Fonts tab -> Own DPI-Value

But AFAIK the dpi setting is only for fonts. If you also wanna have
bigger window decorations then start xfwm4-settings and set
Default-hdpi or Default-xhdpi as theme. AFAIK both themes are part of
x11-themes/xfwm4-themes.

If you wanna set the icon sizes (panel, menu, buttons, toolbar) for
the gtk2-theme that you use, then edit the gtkrc file of this theme.

Before you do this you should copy the complete theme directory into
~/.themes/ (if .themes doesn't exist then create it), then rename it
and then edit the gtkrc file. Finally you can set this theme as your
new theme.

By example:
cp -r /usr/share/themes/Xfce-basic/ ~/.themes/
mv ~/.themes/Xfce-basic ~/.themes/Xfce-basic_big-icons
vi ~/.themes/Xfce-basic_big-icons/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

I have a 140 DPI display and insert these two lines at top of my
gtkrc:

gtk-toolbar-icon-size = large-toolbar
gtk-icon-sizes =
"panel-menu=32,32:panel=32,32:gtk-button=24,24:gtk-large-toolbar=48,48:gtk-small-toolbar=32,32"

To be honest, I forgot for what the first line is good for. It's some
time ago that I did this and my memory isn't as reliable as it was
20 years ago. ;-)

However some programs don't have a GUI that is ready yet for HiDPI
displays. By example I have not found an option in Gimp to increase
the size of its tiny toolbar icons.

--
Regards
wabe