On 04/09/17 22:24, Grant wrote:
My laptop's 13" screen has a native resolution of 3200x1800 which
makes everything crazy small on-screen.  Is there a good method for
telling Xorg or xfce4 to compensate, or should I one-at-a-time my
applications?

Depends on your desktop. I'm not sure if XFCE supports this, but in KDE
everything scales to my monitor's DPI automatically.

What is the output of:

   xdpyinfo | grep -i resolution

(The utility is in the x11-apps/xdpyinfo package.)

On such a small screen, the result should be a very high DPI (around 282.)
If that's not the number you get, then your graphics driver is reporting it
wrong to Xorg, and you need to set it manually.

This led me to the DisplaySize parameter for xorg.conf which helps a lot.

Is there a way to digitally discover the true height and width of your
screen in mm?

Yes. xdpyinfo shows the information:

  xdpyinfo | grep -B2 resolution

If the information is wrong, that usually means one of two things (sometimes even both): a) the video driver is reporting the wrong size to Xorg, and/or b) the screen is reporting the wrong size to the driver.