On 04/09/17 23:26, Grant wrote:
Is there a way to digitally discover the true height and width of your
screen in mm?

Yes. xdpyinfo shows the information:

   xdpyinfo | grep -B2 resolution

If the information is wrong, that usually means one of two things (sometimes
even both): a) the video driver is reporting the wrong size to Xorg, and/or
b) the screen is reporting the wrong size to the driver.

I'm getting strange results from xdpyinfo.  I always get 96x96 DPI and
the screen size changes along with the resolution.  When I run 'xrandr
--dpi 200x200' and check xdpyinfo, it reports correctly.  But if I log
out and back in to xfce4 without doing anything else, it gives me
96x96 again.

XFCE is probably forcing 96DPI by default. This is usually done by desktop environments that don't support DPI scaling very well. I just found this (sort of flame-war-ish) thread:

  https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7734

and indeed XFCE doesn't seem to have very good support for this. Maybe you can find some of the settings listed there useful though.

Other than that, if you want working DPI scaling, you'll have much better luck with KDE 5 / Plasma.