On Tuesday, 4 December 2018 19:23:27 GMT Jack wrote:

> >> One thing I've done in the past if something failed after a long
> >> time compiling is to cd to the top build dir (under the Portage tmp
> >> dir) and just continue the compile (either make or ninja, or
> >> whatever that package uses) when/if that finishes, you can use
> >> ebuild to finish the install and qmerge steps.  That avoids needing
> >> to start the compile from the beginning.
> >
> > You can use ebuild for that too, with the compile option. I've have
> > the chromium build fail for apparently random reasons on my laptop
> > from time to time and ebuild ... compile finishes the process.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, "ebuild /path/to/ebuild compile" does avoid
> redoing the unpack, prepare, and configure steps, but it  starts the
> compile from scratch.  Manually doing "make" (or whatever) in the
> appropriate directory avoids repeating those parts of the compile that
> were successful.  If the compile takes two days, that's a significant
> savings in time.
>
> Jack

Phew!  The chromium emerge completed with -j1, although it took 4 hours longer
than last time on one PC and 6.5 hours longer on another.  I hope one day
ebuilds/compilers will be clever enough to deduce a suitable job number a
system will run without thrashing swap aimlessly, on a per package basis.
Some versions of chromium compile fine with -j3, others seem to be so hungry
on RAM they would need -j2.  I think this must be the first time with chromium
I had to drop the job number down to 1.

Thank you again for all the pointers and ideas.
--
Regards,
Mick