On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 03:26:50 GMT Jack wrote:
> On 2018.12.04 20:36, Adam Carter wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:41 AM Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Tuesday, 4 December 2018 19:23:27 GMT Jack wrote:
> > > Phew!  The chromium emerge completed with -j1, although it took 4
> >
> > hours
> >
> > > longer
> > > than last time on one PC and 6.5 hours longer on another.
> >
> > For those systems it might be worth trying the binary google-chrome
> > instead. Much smaller download and;
> >
> > $ genlop -t google-chrome | tail -n3
> >
> >      Tue Nov 20 20:20:10 2018 >>>
> >
> > www-client/google-chrome-70.0.3538.110
> >
> >        merge time: 35 seconds.
>
> But only if you don't care about the differences between Chrome and
> Chromium.  They are close, but not (unless I'm terribly mistaken)
> exactly the same.  The latter is completely FOSS, but the former
> contains some Google specific additions.  While I do have both
> installed, I don't particularly trust Google enough to use Chrome
> unless nothing else works.  It's pretty rare I need to use it.
>
> Jack

I chose Chromium because I understood Google-Chrome to have some settings/
code, which is meant to link Google services with a user's footprint even
after you have logged out of all Google services.

What I found with Chromium is that it varies considerably on the amount of RAM
consumed between versions, so it is a matter of guessing if 4G of RAM would be
adequate to support > -j1.

--
Regards,
Mick