Hello,

On Sat, 08 Dec 2018, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>On 08/12/2018 03:01, Dale wrote:
>> I just noticed the video card that is coming requires a power cable.  I
>> never had one that powerful before.  O_O
>
>You've been out of the loop it seems. GPUs have required power cables for
>over a decade now. The GPU I use actually needs *two* power cables and places
>a minimum wattage requirement on the power supply... :-P

*Meh*

I miss my Matrox Mystique (first model w/170MHz RAMDAC!) with a
whopping 4 MB SGRAM, and not even a heatsink, just the plain naked
chip, much less a fan, and it ran in a PCI slot, at about ~4.5W (or
was it 5W?) theoretical max usage...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrox_Mystique
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MatroxMystique2MBcard.jpg

I only replaced that ~10yearish ago because my new screen had a
whopping 1280x1024 on 17", which those 4MB just won't do at decent
bit-depth... *sigh* For 1152x864 on the CRT it was still good, but
that screen just got too dark to see anything at all, so I had to
replace it. Got a nice (expensiveish) PVA-TFT. Still very nice after
~10 years, even with CCFL it has darkend only minimally[1] :) And yes,
I'm still fine with 1280x1024 on 17", TYVM :) I could even set up the
spare monitor (same size/res) alongside, but I just don't need it.

Now, I've got (again) a passive GPU for PCIe (max. 75W) w/o extra
power. Main reason: the latest had a fan, which started to scream. As
in almost not running. Cleaning did not help. So... No fan, no sound,
and cleaning a heatsink is easy, as opposed to cleaning a fan +
heatsink combo. And besides, a downward-facing heatsink does not
tend to clog up as one that has a fan blowing onto it...

-dnh, *darn* Time to clean-out the CPU-heatsink once again too :(
    CPU-temp and fan-speed are still ok though.

[1] I started with IIRC ~30-40% "brightness" as preferred setting, and
    am now at ~40-50%... Which is good for a 10yr+ old CCFL, eh? :)

--
 "Waking up this morning was a pointless act of masochism" -- Girl