On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 02:55:02 GMT Dale wrote:
> Andrew Udvare wrote:
> >> On 2019-01-28, at 17:54, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> So far, I have installed Griffith and GCStar.  I been googling for
> >> others but some either are not in the tree or I already know they won't
> >> do one thing I'd like to see.  I'd also like to be able to point it to a
> >> directory and let it build the database on its own.  Adding them one at
> >> a time manually just isn't feasible at all.
> >
> > Seems like you could import via command line?
> > http://wiki.gcstar.org/en/execution
> >
> > You can build the database you need locally with something like exiftool
> > or MediaInfo, or even ffmpeg https://stackoverflow.com/a/8191228/374110 .
> > I highly doubt anyone with serious collections is building their database
> > one item at a time.>
> >> Does anyone know of a software package that will sort a lot of videos by
> >> resolution as well as track other things as well?  It could be that what
> >> I'd like to have doesn't exist at all.  Then again, maybe I just haven't
> >> found it yet.  ;-)
> >
> > The closest thing I can think of is Kodi since it's scanner will retrieve
> > all this information and store it in a straightforward database format.
> > You can choose SQLite or MySQL (of course MySQL is definitely the better
> > choice for larger collections). The downside is the scanner is very slow,
> > especially over a network (and not optimised). The only viewer for this
> > data (at the time being) is Kodi itself.
> Not ignoring.  Just pondering this one.  May take some time for me to
> test some stuff here.  ;-)
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Installing and having to maintain Kodi just to manage a list of videos is
probably inefficient - unless you have a regular use for other Kodi
functionality.  I use it mostly for audio and also the odd video.  It has
loads of useful plugins to play with.

If Kodi is of no use, or you prefer a more portable stand alone CLI solution,
you could look into some basic bash scripts. I couldn't code my way out of a
paper bag, but here's two basic ideas to get you started.  First to list all
the videos into a csv file:

find . -xtype f -iname '*.mp4' -o -iname '*.avi' -o -iname '*.mkv' >
video_list.csv

You may have to add other types of video file containers depending on your
video collection.  As a second step, in order to list all the video
resolutions you could pass the find output to xargs:

find . -xtype f -iname '*.mp4' -o -iname '*.avi' -o -iname '*.mkv' | tee
video_list.csv | xargs -d '\n' exiftool -T -ImageSize

Given my non-existent coding skills I am not sure how to append the output of
xargs as a second column to the video_list.csv, which you could thereafter
open with localc to do your searches, or manipulate further.  Of course,
localc is not necessary.  You can always use less or grep to search the csv
file very efficiently and also re-create it quickly when you add/delete to
your videos.

Other more knowledgeable contributors should be able to polish and complete
the above, or indeed propose something different than bash (python?) to
perform the same task.

HTH.
--
Regards,