On 2020.02.01 14:09, Andrew Lowe wrote:
On 1/2/20 1:42 am, Andrew Lowe wrote:
Hi all,
    I posted something a few days ago about middle click of a mouse not working. In investigating this, I think I have come across something a bit dodgy.
I have no logitech devices, and no problem with middle click doing paste in most circumstances, but open link in new tab in browsers with 5.5.0.

So first off, thanks for the comments/thoughts/pointers. Unfortunately I basically had tried all of them, diff'd this, checked that and it appears the only thing is to start from scratch, which is a really painful thought.
Do you really need to start from scratch, or just go through every page and item starting with your current .config?
Why is "menuconfig" so badly organised? A bit of alphabetical ordering wouldn't go astray, a la a dir structure as displayed in Dolphin/Win Explorer.... Anyway, 5.5.1 is out and I've tried that as well, hoping for a fix, but to no avail. Logitech still disappears. Does anyone know where I could look for bugs on menuconfig or a non intimidating place to ask about this - I don't want Linus "shouting" at me on the LKML.
No direct advice here, but when I run xconfig and search on Logitech, I get four entries. In case the "Depends on" might point you to what higher level item you need to turn on, here are the help screens from each. The Location entry should hopefully give a hint where to look for them. In my case, since the first is set to no, the other three only show up under search, but not in the main window.
-------------------
Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH)

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH:

Support for Logitech devices that are not fully compliant with HID standard.

Symbol: HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Logitech devices
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:525
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && LEDS_CLASS [=y]
-------------------
Logitech Unifying receivers full support (HID_LOGITECH_DJ)

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_DJ:

Say Y if you want support for Logitech Unifying receivers and devices.
Unifying receivers are capable of pairing up to 6 Logitech compliant
devices to the same receiver. Without this driver it will be handled by
generic USB_HID driver and all incoming events will be multiplexed
into a single mouse and a single keyboard device.

Symbol: HID_LOGITECH_DJ [=n]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Logitech Unifying receivers full support
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
-> Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH [=n])
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:533
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && USB_HID [=y] && HIDRAW [=y] && HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Selects: HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP [=n]
-------------------
Logitech HID++ devices support (HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP)

CONFIG_HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP:

Support for Logitech devices relyingon the HID++ Logitech specification

Say Y if you want support for Logitech devices relying on the HID++
specification. Such devices are the various Logitech Touchpads (T650,
T651, TK820), some mice (Zone Touch mouse), or even keyboards (Solar
Keyboard).

Symbol: HID_LOGITECH_HIDPP [=n]
Type : tristate
Prompt: Logitech HID++ devices support
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
-> Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH [=n])
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:546
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Selects: POWER_SUPPLY [=y]
Selected by [n]:
- HID_LOGITECH_DJ [=n] && INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && USB_HID [=y] && HIDRAW [=y] && HID_LOGITECH [=n]
-------------------
Logitech force feedback support (LOGITECH_FF)

CONFIG_LOGITECH_FF:

Say Y here if you have one of these devices:
- Logitech WingMan Cordless RumblePad
- Logitech WingMan Cordless RumblePad 2
- Logitech WingMan Force 3D

and if you want to enable force feedback for them.
Note: if you say N here, this device will still be supported, but without
force feedback.

Symbol: LOGITECH_FF [=n]
Type : bool
Prompt: Logitech force feedback support
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> HID support
-> HID bus support (HID [=y])
-> Special HID drivers
-> Logitech devices (HID_LOGITECH [=n])
Defined at drivers/hid/Kconfig:558
Depends on: INPUT [=y] && HID [=y] && HID_LOGITECH [=n]
Selects: INPUT_FF_MEMLESS [=y]