On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 10:22 AM Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2021 08:56:16 -0400, John Blinka wrote:
>

> > I’ve tried usb sticks with both Sysrescue and Ubuntu server to boot this
> > thing.  It appears to attempt to boot each one, but then the screen goes
> > blank after 1-2 seconds, at which point I can’t tell what’s going on.
>
> This could possibly be KMS kicking in, try adding nomodeset to the boot
> options. While you're editing the boot options, you may as well remove
> any quiet or splash options too, so you can better see what is going on.

KMS… had to Google that. Not that I am fluent in this stuff
(understatement!) but how does one add nomodeset to boot options, or edit
boot options?  The world I’m living in consists of downloading a bootable
Linux iso image,  dd’ing it to a usb stick, then trying to boot my
recalcitrant Asus board from that.  What you’re suggesting sounds to me
like rolling my own Gentoo usb boot stick.  Is
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Install_Gentoo_on_a_bootable_USB_stick is the
place to go for that?

John