On Tuesday, 11 April 2023 11:33:38 BST Dale wrote:

> The info from the man page is correct.

Of course it is. There'd be uproar if it weren't.

> They do two different things. The -N will mean more recompiles of packages
> but it also means that when a USE flag change is made, it also changes any
> packages that relates to that. In other words, it goes deeper.

I don't know why you think it goes deeper, Dale. It's a question of candidate
selection, not depth of analysis.

-U: if a package doesn't need to be updated on your system today, it'll be
left until it does.

-N: if any USE flag at all has changed in a package, it'll be recompiled,
whether it needs to be on your system or not.

--
Regards,
Peter.