I believe asterisk is evolving way from a "carrier" mindset more into an IT one. Losing support for ancient hardware is part of that. I no longer use IAX (used it to trunk multiple instances across vpn's - worked well.)  Currently I only have a couple of now quite old Cisco phones and Jami softphones on android using SIP to a single asterisk.

I incrementally upgrade asterisk mostly by a clean install carrying over config files into an LXC instance (using a golden master setup) which has been trouble free until pjsip - and thats more my fault in missing that SIP was deprecated and having to unexpectedly fault find it.  The conversion script worked fine for internal extensions, but the uplink trunk required a few hours extra work until I stumbled over the correct syntax - too many options confusing things.

My recommendation would be to spin up a VM and install a test instance and start afresh - older asterisk versions are usually a security risk as time goes on.

BillK