On 2/24/24 21:52, Dale wrote:
I have two monitors too, sort of.  One monitor is for computer stuff,
checking email, surfing the net etc etc etc.  The other monitor I use to
watch TV with.  The output from the video card second output goes to a
splitter so I can have the same video in both my bedroom and the living
room.  I use Nvidia settings to manage mine but I run into the same
problem you do.  Sometimes when I login, the second monitor output is
dead.  TV shows the dreaded "No signal" thing floating around.  I have
to open Nvidia settings, disable the second monitor output, hit apply,
click that I can see the screen still, re-enable the second monitor,
click apply, click I can see the monitor and then the second monitor
works again.  It's annoying as heck.  I'm on the 470 series of Nvidia
drivers.  Best my old card can do.  LOL

I looked in the KDE System Settings display settings screen and it shows
the same as Nvidia.  Maybe one copies the other???  There's really
nothing for me to change there so I can't hit apply.  :/   I've always
wondered if I can set this up in xorg.conf file instead of the GUI.
Maybe it would work better.  Thing is, everything says it should "just
work" and the file shouldn't be needed.

This may not be a KDE problem.  It could be a Nvidia problem.  It may be
KDE but I'm not sure which to blame.  I don't let my screen go off
except for the once a week trip to town to get shots so I just put up
with it.  The rest of the time, my monitors and TVs tend to stay on.

You are not alone.  I'm just not real sure this is a KDE problem.  It's
possible tho.  Mostly, you are not alone.

Dale

:-)  :-)

I probably should have added more details... I do have an nvidia card - RTX 3070Ti. Monitors use 2x DP ports and 1x HDMI port.

KDE behaves very strangely. Like, it crashes often when using multiple monitors and I've never been able to figure that out.

nvidia-settings (which I plain forgot about) can generate an Xorg.conf file from what I remember, maybe I'll try that.

I currently don't have an Xorg.conf (as everything I've read says it should autodetect...) so maybe I'll try overriding it.

Dan