On 2/25/24 10:17, Mark Knecht wrote:

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 10:35 AM Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com <mailto:djqf...@gmail.com>> wrote:
<SNIP>
 > I probably should have added more details... I do have an nvidia card -
 > RTX 3070Ti. Monitors use 2x DP ports and 1x HDMI port.
 >
 > KDE behaves very strangely. Like, it crashes often when using multiple
 > monitors and I've never been able to figure that out.
 >
 > nvidia-settings (which I plain forgot about) can generate an Xorg.conf
 > file from what I remember, maybe I'll try that.
 >
 > I currently don't have an Xorg.conf (as everything I've read says it
 > should autodetect...) so maybe I'll try overriding it.
 >
 > Dan

I'm not Gentoo-based but have a similar setup. 3080ti, 2 Asus
monitors, 1 Samsung, all running 1920x1080, all in landscape.

I have absolutely no problems at all with KDE remembering where
everything goes, all 3 monitors, all taskbars, for multiple users
with different configurations. I use 1 HDMI cable and 2 HDMI->DVI
cables. Everything just works.

I have no xorg.conf file.

I tried Wayland for a while but there were too many weird artifacts
so I'm back to basics.

I'd suggest you look carefully at every flag you are using to
build your software. I've used 3 distros here recently, as well
as Win 10 & 11 and none of them have had problems like
you are describing.

Best of luck,
Mark

I've never had much luck with these displayport connections. My card is 3x DP and 1x hdmi.

I am considering "starting fresh" on the weekend. The problem is there's so much config blended in with KDE now, it's not a simple "remove the .kde" folder to wipe the config any more. :/

I don't recall when I last did a fresh install, probably when I built this rig in 2018/19. But, I figure with a fresh slate it should be easier to get things like wayland to work - at least to give it a try. As I know KDE is going more systemd-like I may even try that... although systemd gave hits and fisses last time I tried it.

Dan