On Wed, 2024-03-27 at 20:54 +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 03:42:07PM -0400 schrieb Matt Connell:
> > On Wed, 2024-03-27 at 19:58 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am looking for a way to synchronise a filesystem between 2
> > > servers. Changes can occur on both sides which means I need to
> > > have it synchronise in both directions.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
> > >
> > > Also, both servers are connected using a slow VPN link, which is
> > > why I can't simply access files on the remote server.
> >
> > I've been using syncthing for years and am extremely pleased with
> > it. It works so well that I sometimes forget that its there, truly
> > in the It Just Works category of software.
>
> Syncthing is also a good idea. The major difference: syncthing is a
> permanently running daemon, so changes are synced very fast (the
> interval is configurable, IIRC). OTOH, Unison is run individually by
> you. That’s why I prefer the latter: in case I broke some file on my
> machine, I can get it back from another machine without having to
> break out the backup disk (which may not even have what I need
> because my backup interval is too big).

Good point.  I mainly use syncthing as a "stuff I need on multiple
machines" bucket, rather than a big directory of active working files.
Think more along the lines of "I saved this PDF on my PC but I'll need
it on my phone tomorrow so it goes into the Special Folder" kind of use
case.  As such it might not be the right fit for "synchronise a file
system" use case.