Mattias Merilai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> seems that it does not look for a doc USE flag. You will have to
> manually change the ebuild to --with-docs. Gentoo's ebuild howto will
> explain you how to do that.

And this can be found....where?  I've been jerking around on
gentoo.org for over 1/2 hr now and haven't spotted it in the lists of
documentation with the search features on Firefox since gentoo.org has
not even a search engine for its own pages.

Nearest I've come is:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part2_chap3

   You are advised to edit the ebuild's src_compile() function if you
   want to change the compilation instructions. However, you can also
   trick Portage into believing that the ebuild application has finished
   the compile steps. Run all necessary commands yourself and create an
   empty file called .compiled in the working directory:

I might get it right from this but is there more explicit coverage
somewhere?

I'm not asking you to dig up a URL just something off the top of your
head to guide my own search.