On 1/7/06, Abhay Kedia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Saturday 07 January 2006 10:43, Trenton Adams wrote:
> >
> > which is what I mentioned in another post that I made.  When I
> > originally started with gentoo linux, I read the part about why gentoo
> > linux came about.  Basically it was all about doing things the way you
> > want.  Well, I like the flexiblity, but I also want the simplicity. :)
> >  Let us have the simplicity of RedHat, and RPMs (waiting for flames),
> > but with flexibility as well.
> >
> You should review what you want out of your Linux Distro cos I for once am
> failing to understand your point of view. What do you want? Gentoo is gentoo.
> It gives you full control to do what *YOU* want to do and taking full control
> of a full fledged OS is needless to say; "difficult". If you don't desire or
> need the full control then imho there are various other distros available
> with *simplicity* written all over them. They should be there at your
> service. But if Gentoo starts to uninstall stuff from my system without
> asking me then the whole philosophy of control dies or Gentoo dies.

I never said it should uninstall stuff without asking you.  In fact, I
suggested it ask me.  And gentoo is hardly "difficult" for anyone with
a brain.  *Perhaps* time consuming to learn, but not "difficult".  And
as I said before, I'm using gentoo because of it's flexibility, so
that's what I'm sticking with.  In fact, all my Linux computers have
now been converted to gentoo, as of this past week.  So I don't plan
on switching them back any time soon.  I'm just of the mind that we
really should encourage it's use, while encouraging people to also
understand what's happening under the hood.  I like both that my car
just works, and I don't have to know how the pistons go up and down,
but that I can also look under the hood if I so desire.