Trenton Adams schreef:
> Interesting points, but
>
> On 1/7/06, Abhay Kedia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 07 January 2006 22:00, Trenton Adams wrote:
>>
>>> I like both that my car just works, and I don't have to know how
>>> the pistons go up and down, but that I can also look under the
>>> hood if I so desire.
>>>

>> Thinking on the wrong lines again and what you want can never
>> happen, at least with Gentoo; because Gentoo does not give you a
>> working car at all. It just gives you spare parts (ebuilds &
>> packages), books to read (documentation) and a tool box (portage).
>> Then it tells you to go ahead and make your own car. It totally
>> depends on you whether you want to make it a blazing fast Ferrari
>> or a classy Limo. To achieve anything of that sorts you *HAVE TO*
>> know how the pistons go up and down. If you don't read and just put
>>  together the pieces in a random order then you might make a moving
>>  car but it will not be a working one. Moral of the story? To have
>> full control, you gotta know how things work inside the engine :)
>

> Well actually, it could happen.  If I had a menu of packages to be
> installed during some sort of automated install process, then I'm
> still customizing my system the way I want.  So once again, you
> absolutely *CAN* have gentoo flexibility with easy of install

Just a quick question:

Isn't creating "a menu of packages to be installed" part of the install
process?

If not, because you did not create this menu yourself, then you are not
"customizing your system the way you want", but rather choosing the most
suitable for you amongst a list of pre-defined-- thus, by definition,
limiting-- options.

If you did create the menu of packages yourself, and it then is (as it
must be) considered part of the installation process, then isn't the
installation process no longer "easy", by your definition of "easy"?

Not quite following the logic here.

Holly