On Wednesday 03 May 2006 23:02, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] why firefox is so slow?':
> I've asked on multiple occassions for a comparison to a Debian paradigm.
>  My first distro was Debian.  So a comparison to Debian would do me a
> world of good.

ARCH ~= STABLE

but more volatile -- there's no real release version, packages are
maintained separately unless they are packaged together upstream or depend
on one another so you'll still get regular updates, but the packages have
been though some amount of testing by the devs and those running:

~ARCH ~= TESTING

though there's less testing, packages don't have to survive being masked
for any period of time so you will occasionally get an package that would
only be suited for "Sid".  It's still exceedingly rare for these packages
to screw your system, but it is possible especially if you don't read the
e(info|notice|warn)s that are output during the install or become lax in
your config file updating.  Anything truly experimental will be masked
while the devs (and brave users) test internally.

If you do run ~arch and can spend some time reporting you successes and
failures, consider becoming an arch tester, assuming your arch needs more.

package.mask'd, profile masked, or missing keyword ~= SID (or worse)

These packages are either experimental with changes that are likely to
break the system, or have been known to break someones system, possibly
including data loss.  Some development teams *cough*KDE*cough* are quite
flexible with the "experimental" label -- I had kde 3.5 installed with few
to no problems for (what seemed like) months before they were unmasked.

Of course, ebuilds in the forums and bugzilla (and anywhere else other than
the standard portage tree) are like foreign repositories.  Gentoo devs
(and most of the people on the mailing lists) can't and won't provide
support for those packages or problems that may/might be caused by them.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest