On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 21:19 +0530, Mrugesh Karnik wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 19:26, de Almeida, Valmor F. wrote:
> > I tried the make all option and it added a /boot -> .
> > Inside /boot. Also, a menu.lst file was created inside /boot/grub
> > that points to grub.conf. Other than that there no changes/additions
> > we made.
> >
> > I rebooted and had the same problem occurring:
> >
> > System.map not found -- unable to check symbols
> >
> > Thanks for your inputs.
> >
> > --
> > Valmor
>
> I have the same problem. Does anyone know the solution?

Genkernel copies the file into /boot/ BUT names the System.map as
System.map-genkernel-x86-2.6.xx-gentoo-rx so all you need to do is
copy/rename this file as System.map (note the capital S) and everything
should be fine.

I'm not sure what impacts/problems arise out of not having a System.map
file but having fixed the "problem" on my own computers I haven't
noticed any differences.