On 7/18/06, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My question now is which file system would be best to use? I have used
reiserfs with great success, but reiser4 or xfs look appealing.

I would stay far away from reiser4.  From what I can tell, reiser4 may
never make it into the mainline kernel.  Xfs and ext3 are both very
good choices.  Personally I have a /very slight/ preference for xfs,
because of xfs_fsr and the tuning options available in /proc.

Recommendations  for a file system that is mostly going to be challenged
by streaming video (mpeg, h.264 dirac, ogg theora....) is of keen
interest. Any benchmarks available?

Partitioning is probably the most important thing you could do for the
performance of this system.    Make a separate filesystem for the
video work, so it doesn't have to compete for block/extent allocations
with the rest of your system.

-Richard