Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:

> > My question now is which file system would be best to use? I have used
> > reiserfs with great success, but reiser4 or xfs look appealing.

> I would stay far away from reiser4.  From what I can tell, reiser4 may
> never make it into the mainline kernel.  Xfs and ext3 are both very
> good choices.  Personally I have a /very slight/ preference for xfs,
> because of xfs_fsr and the tuning options available in /proc.

I understand the comments about reiser4, although folks claim the performance
is wonderful. But do you think that xfs will outperform reiserfs (3 series?).

> > Recommendations  for a file system that is mostly going to be challenged
> > by streaming video (mpeg, h.264 dirac, ogg theora....) is of keen
> > interest. Any benchmarks available?

> Partitioning is probably the most important thing you could do for the
> performance of this system.    Make a separate filesystem for the
> video work, so it doesn't have to compete for block/extent allocations
> with the rest of your system.

Agreeded.

 I have a problem I thought I had solved. I have tried
Partition Magic 7.0, repartitioning on the experimental livecd for
amd64 and now the  livecd from Gparted.  All allow resizing of the
85 Gig ntfs partition, but, when I go to commit(run). All three
fail. No matter what I do, I cannot reduce the 85Gig down to 30gig.

This URL suggest defragging the windows (NTFS partition) to be able
to condense the XP OS:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Linux_after_Windows

Resizing this partition on an HP8000 portable should not be so
difficult. What am I missing? Several site allude to Microsoft
trying to make it difficult for Linux users.....

Ideas?

James