On 7/18/06, Donnie Berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Yes, it's well known that XFS sucks with unexpected power loss, Reiser
and JFS less so. ext3 remains the most reliable filesystem.

Yeah, I can't deny that.

Fortunately for my laptop, "unexpected power loss" is never an issue.
Lockups still are though, so I make sure to build with SysRq support.
I would guess that in 99% of cases where a hard reset is necessary,
Alt-SysRq-s (emergency sync) and Alt-SysRq-u (remount read-only) still
work.  I just have to remember to wait until the disk light goes out
before Alt-SysRq-b (reboot).  I forgot once, and my running VMWare
session lost its config file and corrupted its disk image!

It also helps to fiddle with the vm and xfs sysctl settings so that
XFS doesn't sit there with unsync'd data that is 10-20 minutes old!

-Richard