Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:38:37 -0500
> Colleen Beamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Jesús Guerrero wrote:
>>> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 17:57:53 -0500
>>> Colleen Beamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello
>>>>
>>> This is not relate to nvidia. It would have happened the same with your ATI
>>> board.
>>>
>>> This means that the kernel modules version and the X driver versions do not
>>> match. This can have an easy explanation: probably your /usr/src/linux
>>> symlink is not pointing to the correct directory, so, the module was
>>> compile for any other kernel. And your current kernel is still using the
>>> old piece, while Xorg is using the new one.
>> I'm not stupid - ls -al linux points to linux-2.6.21-gentoo-r4 the
>> latest version of gentoo-sources installed and this is what is compiled
>> on my laptop.  I rebooted after compiling the kernel and reinstalled the
>> nvidia driver.  I followed the nvidia How To to the letter.  And I still
>> get the same message.
>
> Sorry to have irritated you. I have no way to know what your level in
> these matters is. If I start on basic things is because most of the times
> it is something basic which causes the problem, and because I don't like
> to start the house from the roof.
>
> I know you might be bored and tired of trying and failing, that is not a
> reason to react like that. I am just trying to help. To be hard to the
> helper is a way not to get any more help in the future.
>
> That said, I would double check another basic thing: check the compilation
> date on uname -a. I have seen too much times this errors cause of one basic
> thing: people compile one kernel but install it without mounting /boot.
> There is not need to be stupid for that to happen. It happens from time to
> time to users with more than a decade of experience in *nix clones.
> Sorry if that is too basic, but it is better to make sure.
>
>> I've done all this and as I stated, the previous version of
>> nvidia-drivers that was installed before I upgraded worked fine.  And as
>> previously stated, I just recompiled the kernel today, so it was *not*
>> compiled with a different version of gcc.
>>
>> And I still think nvidia cards are crap!
>
> Believe it or not. Version mismatch between a kernel and a module, has nothing
> to do with the manufacturer of the card or the driver, but with the gcc/glibc
> stuff used to compile both, and the version of the modules in both sides. This
> is true for every module that is built outside the kernel tree. Nvidia is not
> something special, and the ati thingy is not special either.
>
> Luck with that, and be patient. There is no other option.

I am frustrated with the situation and your response reiterated some
things that I thought I had explained, but no matter.

I have tried a few things since ... I've only had the laptop since Apr.
 This was the first time I updated nvidia-drivers.  I checked to see
what upgrades to gcc had been done and the only one that had been done
was minor.  I started out with gcc-4.1 and the upgrade was to 4.1-r3.
Hence, I doubt that that's the problem since I had nvidia-drivers
working before.

On a lark, I'm going back to an earlier kernel version - to 2.6.20-r7
and will recompile nvidia-drivers to see if that works.

And I still don't like nvidia.  I've had more frustrations with this
(the first time I have ever used nvidia and wouldn't have, but I didn't
have a choice when I ordered the laptop) than I ever had with ati.  I
*did* encounter a few wrinkles the first time I installed my radeon card
on the desktop that I built, but I was pretty new to Gentoo.  However,
after getting the initial wrinkles ironed out, it was smooth sailing
after that.  That's why this situation frustrates me so much.  I got
over the initial hurdle of getting the nvidia card configured when I
first got the laptop and one would think that after that, an upgrade
shouldn't be rocket science.

Anyway, I apologize for jumping all over you.  I know you were just
trying to help and this list is and always has been a great and patient
source of help when I need it.

Regards,

Colleen
--