On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 06:37:52AM +0100, Mick wrote

> b)Plugging in an external keyboard, which is hopefully recognised.

  No, it's *NOT* a laptop.  See
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops_inspn?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

  Last minute update... finally found something on Google.  Someone had
a similar problem with Slax, and solved it by the boot line...

slax noapic irqpoll acpi=force

  So I tried...
gentoo noapic irqpoll acpi=force
and I now have a functional keyboard.  I notice that only 1 penguin image
appears at boot, rather than 2.  Is the "noapic"  making my "Dual Core"
(different from "Core Duo") act like only one cpu?

  One problem down and one to go.  I can get a limited shell.  It
doesn't have "lspci" or "fdisk".  I want to see what shows up with
"lspci -v" and "fdisk -l".  I have a floppy if that helps.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?