On Sunday 26 August 2007, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 11:16:42AM +0200, b.n. wrote
>
> > Why a limited shell? The gentoo livecd does not have those
> > software? Or are you into a busybox or something?
>
>   After the boot (which I presume is done via BIOS) the install program
> can't find any drives (CD or DVD or HD).  So it can only give me
> busybox.

You may want to try the nodma kernel option to get your CDROM recognised.
Also, the latest Knoppix CD/DVD may have hardware drivers that fair better
than the Gentoo LiveCD.  In my travels I have found that going around the
LiveCDs of various distros will eventually end up with a booting CD from
which I can install Gentoo.  Depending on the hardware the distro CD is
different each time.  SUSE and Ubuntu are probably slightly better than the
rest.

Good luck.
--
Regards,