"James Ausmus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Jan 22, 2008 2:02 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I may have spoken too soon.  Re-installing mysql got me to where I can
>> login to the console but the suggested commands still fail:
>>
>>   # mysql -uroot -p
>>   Enter password:
>>   Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
>>   Your MySQL connection id is 16
>>   Server version: 5.0.44-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.44-r2
>>
>>   Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>>
>>   mysql> create database bookmarks;
>>   ERROR 1006 (HY000): Can't create database 'bookmarks' (errno: 2)
> <snip>
>
> Hmm - odd. What does the output of:
> ls -al /var/lib/mysql

drwx------  2 mysql mysql 1752 Jan 22 15:55 mysql
drwx------  2 mysql mysql   48 Jan 22 15:55 test

It struck me odd that /var/lib/mysql has another directory inside with
the same name... but that was how the previous install looked as well.

> Also, what do you get in the MySQL console if you do a:
> show databases;

  mysql> show databases;
  +--------------------+
  | Database           |
  +--------------------+
  | information_schema |
  +--------------------+
  1 row in set (0.03 sec)

> Also, try doing the create database procedure as previously outlined,
> then do a tail -n100 /var/log/mysql/mysql.err and
> /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err and /var/log/mysql/mysql.log - anything
> relative showing up in there? Maybe post the output of the above
> commands, as well as (tbz2'd, if they're large) attaching the
> /var/log/mysql/* files - might help us track this down...

My first impulse was to look there as well but strangely nothing was
being written about those errors.  So in response to your post I
thought I would clean out those logs with rm -f /var/log/mysql/my*

Then restart mysql.

Surprisingly after doing those steps.  It now works.

Apparently you've backhandedly fixed it simply with a request for
information... : ).

Now smooth as silk:

   > mysql -uroot -p
  Enter password:
  Your MySQL connection id is 1
  Server version: 5.0.44-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.44-r2

  mysql> create database bookmarks;
  Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

  mysql> grant ALL on bookmarks.* to 'bookmarkmgr'@'localhost' identified by
      -> 'xxxxxxxx';
  Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)

  mysql> flush privileges;
  Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

And I guess... not surprisingly the bookmark page now works too?

Reminds me of a comment a neighbor made yrs ago.

I was a sort of neighborhood fixit guy.  Pretty handy with my hands
from a lifetime of bluecollar work and being raised as a kid in the
country.

Neighbors would call me when their fixit chores got out of there
league.  This one neighbor, on having me come over for an electrical
problem, swore things at his house started just working when he called
me to come over... said they'd see me coming and just know they'd have to
work shortly.

That appears to be what happened here.