Hi
check this link,
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Inspiron_1520#Wireless_Network

It says that
<snip>
You should install the Windows driver from Dell if you would like to take
advantage of the full bandwith of your WLAN card (meaning 54 MBit/s).
!!FIXME!! If you would like to use the kernel driver, probably you can but
only with limited (11 MBit/s) bandwith.
</snip>

BTW,
  I am more interested to get things working. Quality would be my second
priority.

Thanks,
flukebox