On Saturday 9 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:

> Hi
> check this link,
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Dell_Inspiron_1520#Wireless_Network
>
> It says that
> <snip>
> You should install the Windows driver from Dell if you would like to
> take advantage of the full bandwith of your WLAN card (meaning 54
> MBit/s). !!FIXME!! If you would like to use the kernel driver,
> probably you can but only with limited (11 MBit/s) bandwith.
> </snip>

Uhm, the b43 page does not mention this. I guess you just have to try and
see. Personally, I always prefer in-kernel drivers rather than external
when possible, especially in this case where the external driver is
actually a kludge around windows drivers.

> BTW,
>   I am more interested to get things working. Quality would be my
> second priority.

As I said before, I did not have any problem (unfortunately, I cannot
access the hardware now and check the bandwidth issue).