> > # equery depends pwdb
> > [ Searching for packages depending on pwdb... ]
> > sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 (sys-libs/pwdb)

Where does equery get that from? emerge -e pam doesn't show pwdb as a
dependency. In fact, the ebuild checks whether you are using the pam_pwdb
module, and if you do, warns you about it. I for my part just removed pwdb,
and I can still log in as if nothing happend. (Also after a reboot.)

Also, I'd thought that emerge --depclean has matured enough so that
> you don't get weird stuff like depclean telling you pwdb is save to
> remove, while equery tells you there's a hard dependency.

I think emerge --depclean is safe after emerge -DuN world, if you run
revdep-rebuild afterwards.

~Henry