"b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Read it (admittedly, read mostly the google cache because berlios.de
> seems slow/unreachable now).

berlios.de is quick - much faster than the google cache. It may be that your
internet provider has a bad peering with the German research network.

> It just says "I choose CDDL because it's more free than GPL" and stuff
> like that. This is better than the complete nothing we had before, but
> it is still quite obscure.
>
> I gave a (quick) look at the CDDL and on one side I feel sympathetic
> with you (it seems the incompatibility claimed by Debian is extremly
> technical and doesn't seem to pose peculiar problems) but on the other
> side it seems CDDL and GPL are similar enough that I see no strong
> reason to change license.

The CDDL has been designed to be compatible with all OSS licenses.
The GPL has been designed to be incompatible (*) with all other licenses
including the LGPL. OpenSource needs collaboration. This cannot happen with
the asymmetric incompatibility the GPL tries to impose.

*) The GPL allows GPLd code to call code from any license but disallows that
GPLd code is callsed by non-GPLd code.

> - Why is it in your opinion more free, in a few words?

The GPL tries to take off freedom in otder to keep freedom. This does not work
in most cases (I tried to sue two companies to no avail), so why take off
freedom at all?

> - Why did you prefer to release it CDDL and see people go berserk (right
> or wrong they are, it doesn't count here) instead of keeping it GPL and
> let everyone live peacefully? In other words: why is CDDL *so important*
> to you that you prefer to see bad forks of your software pop out instead
> of having a compromise about licenses and let your software live happily?

If you did read my FAQ, you would know that this is wrong.

I did change the license _after_ Eduard Bloch and his "friends" did go berserk.

> >> Answering the question with question? (obviously I can do that too :D)
> >
> > It makes no sense to answer questions if the question contains a hint for a
> > missunderstanding.
>
> Again, you don't understand the purpose of *human communication*.
> Communication is exactly made to iron out misunderstandings.
> Communicating with people that are already on your side/already
> understand what you're going to say *makes no sense*.

I am sorry to see that you don't understand how human communication works.
Only 20% of human communication is done by words. For this reason,
communication that is only based on words has a big chance for
missunderstandings. I asked back because it was obvious that you already did
missunderstand the license "delaration" from Gentoo. cdrecord/cdda2wav/...
are under the original CDDL. There is no CDDL-Schily.

> > Do you like to tell me that Gentoo users are not interested to know why they
> > have problems with CD/DVD writing?
> > Do you like to tell me that nobody is interested in a simple fix?
>
> Surely to let people aware of the cdrkit/cdrtools split and that
> cdrtools can fix what's made by cdrkit is useful.
> But it seems there is a tendency to make things degenerate into a
> constant "either with me or against me!" threading, and your "conspiracy
> theory" attitude does not help.

This is again a missunderstanding at your side.

As there is no development or bug fixing for cdrkit, it is obviously not
possible to write something different than it still does not work.

> You tell on the webpage that Debian people started attack you before the
> licence change. No link, for what I can see at a glance, is provided to
> examples of these attacks (if I'm wrong, please correct me).
> No reason is given for those attacks (again, if I'm wrong,etc.).

What you read on my web page is first hand information. All other people
spread the dissinformation from Bloch.

If you _really_ miss information in my FAQ, you should ask...

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)