On Sunday 21 December 2008 01:49:41 pm Justin wrote:
> Jeff Cranmer schrieb:
> >> Hmm, if you have a separate machine with the same architecture, you
> >> can build those binary packages yourself, just man emerge and take a
> >> look at the buildpkg section. Alternatively, you can cross compile
> >> binary packages[1].
> >>
> >> Or, why not just use a stage tarball?
> >>
> >> HTH.
> >>
> >> Joe
> >>
> >> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/cross-development.xml
> >
> > I'm not an expert, and I don't have a second amd64 machine.  My laptop
> > runs a different PC processor type.  How would I go about cross-compiling
> > an amd64 binary on my laptop, and creating the necessary .tbz2 tarball.
> > If I could do that, I would probably be able to test out the theory that
> > this would fix my broken system.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeff
>
> Perhaps you should go back to a lower glib version. Latest versions of
> such important packages might always have issues.

What is the approved way to do this?

When I tried to install an old version of glibc from a binary, I got the
error:

The error was
* Sanity check to keep you from breaking your system:
 *  Downgrading glibc is not supported and a sure way to destruction
 *
 * ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called pkg_setup
 *             environment, line 3275:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               die "aborting to save your system";
 *  The die message:
 *   aborting to save your system
 *
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if
relevant.
 * A complete build log is located
at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located
at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.6.1/temp/environment'.

The error message
"Downgrading glibc is not supported and is a sure way to destruction"
makes me think that going back would not be such a good idea.

Jeff