Dale:

>A few days ago, I did rename .mozilla to .mozilla.old and it worked
>fine.  Then I copied over my emails, password files and bookmarks.

You should really test with a new profile as described. That is the
standard way to test the integrity of a profile.

No crash in the testprofile and you know, that something is wrong in the
old one. And if the testprofile crashes you can go back to the old
profile and have nothing lost but some minutes.

>I did notice that when I pointed the prefs.js file to the correct
>password file, it started messing up shortly after that.

Sounds like the prefs.js is corrupt after editing. Which editor did you
use? And surely SM was closed while editing, hm? ;)

>Keep in mind that all I did is correct the name of the password file.

That could be done.

>I guess it could be that something is messed up with the password
>file.

And i guess that something went wrong with editing the prefs.js. *g*

>> Create a new profile with Tools->Switch Profile->Manage Profiles...,
>> switch to it and do nothing else than calling http://wireless.att.com/
>> in the browser.

Do so!

[ seamonkey-1.1.16.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz from mozilla.org ]
>I would hate to have to install it locally that way.  I sort of let
>portage handle all that.  I mess up enough already with portage helping
>me.  lol

I doubt i will be necessary after using a testprofile.

And there is no danger in unpacking and running SM locally. It will not
interfere with gentoo and can be safely removed after testing without
leaving traces.

But probably not necessary. Did i mention already that you should use a
testprofile?

>I have ran Seamonkey as root before but never used sudo.

Than there is no danger. Running as root is okay.

Hartmut