On 31 Jul, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:07:14 +0200 (CEST), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>
>> I have 4 identical machines, they only differ in the 2 files
>> /etc/conf.d/hostname
>> /etc/conf.d/net
>>
>> I'd like to maintain only one of them (updating
>> GenToo upto several times a week)
>> and 'rsync' the other ones.
>>
>> Now, rsync'ing a life root filesystem is risky.
>> I don't see any problems for the FS holding /usr.
>
> The whole idea sounds a little risky. I'd use binary packages to keep the
> other machines up to date. Set FEATURES="buildpkg" in make.conf on each
> computer and set PKGDIR to a directory accessible by all over NFS. Run
> your normal emerge -u --whatever world on the first then run the same
> with -k on the others. That way they all get the same updates but only
> the first has to compile them.
>
> I'd also set up distcc to reduce compile times, but that's a separate
> step.

Thanks for your help!

I've done so in the past but I've made bad experience.
Unfortunately portage isn't so clever, yet.

Many times (on the 'clones', as well) I had to block packages before
emerge and then unblock again. I even had to unmerge some packages
temporarily and emerge them later on again.

Sometime I have to patch an ebuild file (temporarily) and so on.

And let alone updating baselayout.

So, it would be much easier if I could simulate cloning the
machines each day.

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch