On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:40:04 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> 2) The idea of end-users installing ebuilds themselves from an unknown
> individual delivered through an email list is about as insane as it
> could be. Just what I need is an untested ebuild that I install and
> build myself stealing everything on my system.

How is an ebuild posted to this list different from one posted to b.g.o?
Plenty of packages not in portage have ebuilds there, and many of the
packages in portage started off in b.g.o. The forums are also full of
scripts and ebuilds not available elsewhere.

> As a user and someone who cares about Gentoo I'd like to see ALL
> ebuilds banned from this list. Only takes one bad seed and one
> not-very knowledgeable user like me to give the distro a black eye it
> doesn't deserve.

Like the Debian screensaver package on gnome-look that ran downloaded and
ran a shell script? Installing a package from anywhere but the official
repository (and that includes portage overlays) should be done with
caution, but the idea of banning them is ludicrous.

If you want to ban anything that could potentially be abused, you may as
well start by banning life.

--
Neil Bothwick

X-Modem- A device on the losing end of an encounter with lightning.