Here is a short overview article which points to a possible use for bright
water if a long lasting variant can be developed.

Agulhas leakage fueled by global warming could stabilize Atlantic
overturning circulation: study
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-agulhas-leakage-fueled-global-stabilize.html

Long lasting bright water may help track this change in currents. Stationing
a few Salter tethers equipped with bright water injection in this area could
provided interesting satellite images. It may be an overkill as current
sensors are available. However, the sensors may be (at this time) to limited
for wide area mapping. Having long lasting bright water trails could provide
a higher detailed visualization.

Also, I have read a media report concerning large releases of methane
(hydrate form) which have been reported along in the western African coast
where some of the Agulhas eddies seem to migrate. The reports of unusual low
atmospheric pressure was associated with the releases, but, a warm eddies
moving into that area would also set up a release.

I think it is reasonable to believe that if Global Warming is to increase
and this Agulhas leakage is to increase. The methane hydrate release on the
west coast of Africa could be expected to be as significant as a arctic
release.