Is undersea water fully concentrated with CO2 ???

CO2 is absorbed much better in water under pressure

Pump it into the deep areas of the ocean and lose it or store it for plant
growth later

/////

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Stephen Salter <s.sal...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> **
> Mike
>
> We could be picky about our trenches.  We do not have to be all that deep,
> only  about 700 metres.
>

> Stephen
>

> Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design
> Institute for Energy Systems
> School of Engineering
> Mayfield Road
> University of Edinburgh EH9  3JL
> Scotland
> Tel +44 131 650 5704
> Mobile 07795 203 195www.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs
>

> On 02/06/2011 17:00, Mike MacCracken wrote:
>
> But aren’t deep ocean trenches generally subduction zones, so subject to
> rather massive earthquakes, as recently occurred off Japan?
>
> Mike
>

> On 6/2/11 5:42 AM, "Stephen Salter" <s.sal...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>    Hi All
>
>  I used to think that if gas fields had not leaked their natural gas then
> they should not leak CO2 but I can now see that this argument would be
> changed by fracking.
>
>  However if the pressure is high enough the density of CO2 is higher than
> that of sea water. If you fill a deep sea depression with it and then cover
> the CO2 puddle with a material which prevents or greatly slows diffusion of
> CO2 to the sea water then most of it should stay put.  The cover could be a
> layer of liquid with a density intermediate between the CO2 and sea water
> and very low miscibility with both.  This would allow it to self repair.  We
> could also stab pipes through it to add more CO2 of to release some in order
> to offset Lowell Wood's overdue ice age.  We need to look for deep
> depressions close to where CO2 is being produce or could be concentrated.
>
>  I did suggest this in a previous  contribution to the blog quite a while
> ago but I think that it sank without trace.  This is what we want for the
> CO2.
>
>  Stephen
>
> Emeritus Professor of Engineering Design
> Institute for Energy Systems
> School of Engineering
> Mayfield Road
> University of Edinburgh EH9  3JL
> Scotland
> Tel +44 131 650 5704
> Mobile 07795 203 195
> www.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs <http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~shs>
>
>  On 01/06/2011 21:35, Gregory Benford wrote:
>
> Michael raises the crucial issue: *Should the oil and gas industry be
> relied upon at the geological time scale needed for massive CO2
> sequestration?
>
>  *There are measurements Sherry Rowland told me about ~5 years ago, made
> by his group at UCI, of the methane content of air across Texas & Oklahoma.
> *He found no difference in methane levels in cities vs oil fields and
> farms.
> *
>  He inferred that many oil wells, including spot drillings that yielded no
> oil, but penetrated fairly deeply, were leaking methane into the air. No one
> [...]

GUY LAKEMAN
Guy's Central Headquarters
GCHQ Thinktrank

TVIT.ORG/ASM

*“I'm not upset that you lied to me, *
*I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you”*

"face piles and piles of trials with smiles
it riles them to believe
that i percieve the web they weave"

"wanting is the product of envy and jealousy
and they lead to greed
and greed is the shadow of the dark side"
(and the dark side is in the minds of the deluded)

"NEVER TRY ... DO or DONT DO!"

thailand happy number
+66851635792