Hi Folks,

Holly, I read your media assessment paper and found it a pleasure to see
such thought put into the subject. The concept of GE is in need of this type
of insight now and for sometime to come. Your paper can be viewed as a good
indicator as to how well the message is being reieved. I think GE is failing
on the PR subject. Yet, that is understandable as it has need championed by
fewer people than I had at my last BBQ..I believe the bildungsroman of GE
can be as positive as you point out and I also believe the final chapter of
the book will be a tribute to humanities ability to survive their own
follies.

I would also like to comment on your statement; *"**I see our root problems
as poor land use, socio-economic systems that depend on fossil-fuel
combustion, and uneven development. So strategies should be assessed on
their ability to contribute to solving these, and downgraded if they can't."
*. Holly, that is social engineering....not GE!

I think that type of all-inclusive thought path is one of the major issues
of contention in this first chapter of the GE story. Societal issues are a
necessary part of the GE equation as any rational person interested in this
field wants to do the greatest good for the greatest number. However, the
original core of the GE concept is not so broad that "uneven development"
even shows up on the radar. The original GE concept is an emergency
procedure...a last ditch hope for humanity. That is a highly worthy cause on
its own. How can any GE concept address the social issues you are attaching
to the evaluation criteria?

I was glad to see you pointed out that ETC et al. can not represent civil
society
as there is little knowledge to make informed comments or evaluations. That
assumption of leading status by ETC is what I found as
being truly objectionable.

I do hope you find the time to re-evaluate the media trends over the years
so history can have a clear view of the how this story plays out in the
media.

Thanks for your work.

Michael