Isn't Oliver's definition:

was developed purposefully i*n response to a threat*, which, *while not
obvious in everyday life, had been identified by the scientific
elite.*Like climate change today
*, that threat was seen as being of global significance* and* to have no
easily attainable political solution. *

I am not crazy about "identified by the scientific elite", I would prefer
the more objective and more accurate "scientific method" -- it's not the
eliteness that gives the threat credibility, it's the method.

---
Fred Zimmerman
Geoengineering IT!
Bringing together the worlds of geoengineering and information technology
GE NewsFilter: http://geoengineeringIT.net:8080