Bhaskar,

The prefix ‘geo’ has NO implication of ‘global scale’. It comes from Greek
and means 'of the earth'. For example, geology is the study of the solid
earth and geochemistry the study of the Earth's chemistry, without any
scale being implied – see

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology>.
Thus, geoengineering does not necessarily deal with planetary scale
interventions. Geoengineering literally means 'engineering the earth' and I
am told that is the Chinese translation of ‘geoengineering’.
Chris.