@ Andrew -- There is a continuum here, but i would distinguish
"large-scale" and "global", and note that global effects of clearance on
climate (as opposed to homogocene issues) not large, or even necessarily
noticeable

@ Fred -- method might be nice -- but read Crookes, the key document here,
and the scientific method is not obvious. The fact that he was speaking to
and trying to speak for a scientific elite matters, I think. Remember a key
part of Bolin's plan for IPCC was to get global buy in to elite scientific
view. Also note that I do not see elite in this context as pejorative,
merely descriptive

@ David -- Not quite sure why the existing political order is irrelevant,
but in general i agree with Phil's informal definition -- except that I
don't think limate is the only thing that can be geoengineered/ "Change to
teh way the earth system works made deliberately not carelessly" would suit
me fine. And I don't think introduction of agriculture was intended
deliberately to change the earth system, while nitrogen was, to a
significant extent. Green revolution is, after all, an expression of global
geopolitics, named is specific opposition to the "red revolution"