Taking Ron Larson's comments into account, and also comments made
separately by Fred Zimmerman and Mike MacCracken, a candidate definition
now reads:

*"Geoengineering" refers to activities *

*(1) intended to modify climate*

*(2) and that has a material effect on an international commons or across
international borders *

*(3) and where that material effect occurs through environmental mechanisms
other than a removal of anthropogenic aerosols and/or greenhouse gases from
the atmosphere.*
Note that this covers SRM approaches, CDR approaches that have direct
effects on an international commons or across international borders, plus
novel ideas that do not fall neatly into the SRM/CDR dichotomy.

Again, the goal is to carve out things that pose no special risks and can
be regulated nationally or locally, such as biochar, BECCS, DAC,
afforestatoin/reforestation, etc.

--------------

1.

DAC as approaches which in general pose no novel risks, so in most cases I
would not consider them "geoengineering" under this definition. I think
this would help the development of biochar, BECCS, DAC, and other carbon
dioxide removal methods that pose no novel risks or governance issues.

I like Ron's suggestion of "removal" of a material rather than "reduction"
of a concentration. Removal is usually locally verifiable whereas verifying
a reduction in concentration could be difficult. Happy to have lawyers
argue over this phrase.

The "from the atmosphere" may be considered limiting. I would be fine with
including ocean removal, but I would like to keep things as simple as
possible.

We don't care whether we actually remove the same molecules, we just want
to decrease the concentrations, so anthropogenic aerosols or greenhouse
gases would need to be understood in terms of concentration. In this
case: *Anthropogenic
aerosols and greenhouse gases are by definition those in excess of natural
background concentrations.*

2.

Agree with Fred Zimmerman that I would be fine with lawyers arguing over
"greater than *de minimis*" vs "material".  As a non-lawyer, I read
"material effect" to be equivalent to "greater than *de minimis* effect".
Happy to have lawyers argue over this phrase.

In contrast to Fred, I like the specification of "across international
borders". Purely national effects that have no material (or no greater than
*de minimis*) effects across international borders can be dealt with under
national legislation. I see no reason to invoke any international
governance.

Also this trans-border/commons approach also gets around the whole can of
worms around defining what "large scale" means, which is a  prominent term
in many other proposed definitions of "geoengineering".

3.

To respond to Mike MacCracken's comment, CDR techniques act on
concentrations, not on emissions. In any case, the current definition
avoids use of both "concentrations" and "emissions".

---

Thanks everybody for these comments.

I think we are pretty close to a definition that I would like to see
broadly accepted.

Things like biochar, BECCS, DAC, afforestation/reforestation do not deserve
to be tarred with the same brush that tars injection of sulfur into the
stratosphere.  Most of these approaches bear more in common with mitigation
approaches than they do with sunlight reflection methods.

We are doing a disservice to potentially valuable technologies if we, by
our imprecision of language, give the impression that these potentially
valuable methods bear large and unprecedented kinds of risks.

Best,

Ken

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212 kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira