From: geoengineering@googlegroups.com [geoengineering@googlegroups.com] on
behalf of Ken Caldeira [kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:28 PM
To: jim thomas
Cc: Oliver Morton; geoengineering
Subject: Re: [geo] proposed definition of "geoengineering", suitable for use in
an international legal context (version 25 Sep 2013)

Jim,

We all know that things written by committee often don't turn out well, but to
aid comparison, here are both definitions:

CBD:

"Geoengineering" is

 A deliberate intervention in the planetary environment of a nature and scale
intended to counteract anthropogenic climate change and its impacts.

Alternate candidate definition:

"Geoengineering" refers to activities

(1) intended to modify climate

(2) and that has a greater than de minimis effect on an international commons
or across international borders

(3) and where that greater than de minimis effect occurs through environmental
mechanisms other than a removal of anthropogenic aerosols and/or greenhouse
gases from the atmosphere.

I suggest that the latter definition would be more useful and more easily
applied in practice and do less damage to the development of technologies such
as biochar, biomass energy with CCS, reforestation, and so on, that present no
special risks, cross-border issues, international commons issues, etc.

Best,

Ken

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution for Science
Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA
+1 650 704 7212
kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu<mailto:kcalde...@carnegiescience.edu>
http://dge.stanford.edu/labs/caldeiralab  @kencaldeira

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM, jim thomas