Greg,  cc list:

        This starts a new thread - continuing one you started called “[geo]
Ocean pastures, clouds, and salmon”.   This has none of the details of the
1 July.

        What I have below is way too long, but it hopefully adds a bit to the
Russ George argument that the Sustainable Development Goal #14 (SDG14) is
woefully too weak.  His and the following argument is made by comparing to the
land-based SDG15.   That is where I start with a much-modified version that
emphasizes the verbs.  I hope the list can indicate whether it agrees with Mr.
George re the oceans and CDR/NET/GGR,

        The full list of 17 SDGs can be viewed at:
http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
<http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/>.
The one of most importance to this list is #13.   The Russ George comments on
this topic are at:
http://russgeorge.net/2017/06/06/un-ocean-conference-denies-oceans-what-it-offers-lands/

<http://russgeorge.net/2017/06/06/un-ocean-conference-denies-oceans-what-it-offers-lands/>

A.   SDG #15  Actual for Land (8 action verbs [bold and underlined], 5
subcategories [italics})
Protect,
restore and
promote
   sustainable
use of terrestrial ecosystems,
    sustainably
manage forests,
combat desertification, and
halt and
reverse land degradation and
halt biodiversity loss.

B.   SDG #14a hypothetical rewritten Ocean version using #15 language
Protect,
restore and
promote
   sustainable
use of ocean, sea, and marine ecosystems,
   sustainably
manage mangrove forests,
combat ocean desertification, and
halt and
reverse ocean degradation and
halt ocean biodiversity loss.

C.   SDG #14  Actual for Oceans  (2 action verbs, 1 receiving category)
Conserve and
   sustainably
use
   the oceans, seas and marine resources
for sustainable development.

        This is missing 6 action verbs (restore, promote, manage, combat, halt,
and reverse)  [three emphasized with a CDR/NET/GGR flavor and 4 subcategories
(assuming “conserve” equals “protect”)

D.   If #15 followed the #14 format, it hypothetically  would read:
Conserve and
   sustainably
use
  land resources
for sustainable development

        [which leaves out all the CDR/NET/GGR concepts that are identified in
“C”]

E.  Other Comments

        The actual ocean version C has “use” as an active verb.  The actual
land version A has “use of”  as a noun.  In version A, these two words could be
omitted with little change in meaning.  This noun-verb difference doesn’t seem
to be important from a CDR/NET/GGR perspective, but it does complicate this
comparison a little.

F.   Since this note is all about CDR, here is #13.   The style is  like #14,
rather than the detail of #15
Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts

Ron